by Nicole Borg, PR & Content Writing Client Partner
Are you looking at launching social media pages for your brand in Malta? Or maybe you’re interested in identifying which social media platform you should be focusing your efforts on when promoting your brand in Malta. Or you could be interested in simply understanding social media use and trends in Malta. If your answer is yes, then this blog is a must read for you. Throughout this blog, we will look into the Digital 2023 report released by Data Reportal with a specific focus on the Maltese market.
Before we go into the different Social Media platforms and their usage in Malta, let us first look into the state of digital data in Malta in 2023. According the Digital 2023, at the start of 2023 there were 492,000 internet users in Malta and 421,300 social media users. With the population on the island standing at around 534,200, this means that over 92% of the population made use of the internet, while almost 80% of the population made use of social media in some way, shape or form.
The study explains how following gathering information from third parties such as GWI and data.ai, it can conclude that there was no discernible drop in the usage of social media use on the island. However, it went on to say that the approximately 80% of the population that are making use of social media in 2023 might not represent unique individuals, especially given individuals might have multiple profiles. Additionally, according to ad planning tools of the top social media platforms, 404,000 social media users were aged 18 and over. An interesting statistic that came out of the report also highlighted that around 48% of the social media users are female, while around 52% are male.
An insight into Facebook according to Meta & Digital 2023…
- Malta had 354,000 Facebook users at the start of 2023 versus the number of Facebook users in the world which stood at 2.963 billion.
- Facebook’s potential ad reach in Malta decreased by 5,850 (-1.6%) between 2022 and 2023.
- The number of users that marketers could reach with ads on Facebook in Malta decreased by 8,050 (-2.2%) between October 2022 and January 2023.
- Over 66% of the total population and 72% of the local internet user base at the start of 2023 were reached by Facebook ads in Malta.
- Almost 80% of the eligible audience in Malta is using Facebook in 2023. Children aged 13 and under are not allowed to make use of the platform.
- Additionally, just over 47% of Facebook’s ad audience in Malta is female, while almost 53% are male.
An insight into Instagram according to Meta & Digital 2023…
- Malta has 219,700 Instagram users at the start of 2023 versus a global audience of at least 1.318 billion users around the world.
- Instagram’s ad reach in Malta was equivalent to over 41% of the total population at the start of the year, and almost 45% of the local internet user base.
- Instagram’s potential ad reach in Malta seems to have decreased by 6,100 (-2.7%) between 2022 and 2023.
- 46.5% of the eligible audience in Malta is using Instagram in 2023. Children aged 13 and under are not allowed to make use of the platform.
- The Instagram ad audience in Malta is split almost at 50-50% between males and females.
An insight into LinkedIn according to LinkedIn stats & Digital 2023…
- LinkedIn registered 270,000 members in Malta in early 2023 versus a global figure of around 900.2 million registered members at the start of 2023.
- The advertising reach figures in Malta for Linked in were just over 50% of the total population on the island at the start of 2023, and almost 60% of the local internet user base.
- Almost 60% of the eligible audience in Malta is using LinkedIn in 2023. People aged 18 and under are not allowed to make use of the platform.
- LinkedIn’s potential ad reach in Malta increased by 30,000 (+12.5%) between 2022 and 2023, while the size of LinkedIn’s ad audience in Malta increased by 10,000 (+3.8%) between October 2022 and January 2023.
- The LinkedIn ad audience in Malta is split at just under 46% female and just over 54% male.
An insight into Twitter according to Twitter stats & Digital 2023…
- Twitter registered 107,900 users in Malta versus 556.0 million users worldwide in January 2023.
- Twitter’s ad reach in Malta is equivalent to just over 20% of the total population.
- Just under 23% of the eligible audience in Malta makes use of Twitter, and just under 22% of the local internet user base. People aged 13 and under are not allowed to make use of the platform.
- In the meantime, just under 30% of the Twitter ad audience in Malta is female, while just over 70% is male.
- Twitter’s potential ad reach in Malta increased by 38,000 (+55.1%) between the start of 2022 and early 2023, while the number of users that marketers could reach with ads decreased by 28,000 (-20.5%) between October 2022 and January 2023.
Looking at the above data, Facebook remains the platform with the most users based in Malta in 2023, followed by LinkedIn and then Instagram and Twitter. If we had to look at it from a global perspective, Facebook is still the Social Media platform with the highest user base between the four previously mentioned, followed by Instagram and then LinkedIn and Twitter. On the other hand, while Facebook and Instagram users and reach are experiencing a slow decrease in Malta, LinkedIn and Twitter seem to be gaining some more traction than usual.
Interested in launching your brand’s social media channels? Get in touch with us today and let us help you kick-start your brand’s social media journey in style.